Monday, February 4, 2008

Duck In Water

It is very comforting to be back in the classroom and be back somewhere I am familiar with and comfortable. Granted there are only screen windows, painted chalk boards, and a beautiful view of the Uluguru mountains from my classroom; I feel like a duck who has finally found some water. The challenges are starting to become more actualized now that the classes have started. For starters the Tanzania school system has a much regimented syllabus for the teachers and tells you how many periods should be taught for each subject, so my joy of authentic hands on learning is being handcuffed to their syllabus. Part of me says to stick to the material and the format but…it sucks and I don’t think I am going to be able to stick to this format of regurgitating material as fast as possible and just so that we can get through the entire syllabus. I am not here to try and mirror the teaching style of Tanzanian teachers but to show them the advantages of alternative pedagogic techniques, but will present a lot of challenges when all I have is chalk board, chalk, and a single text book, and the only reason we have a text book is because we are the “special” school in Tanzania with the top students so our budget allows us to buy some text books. Since the teacher is the only one with a text book ( a few of the students from better means have there own books; two) a teachers perceived job is to right the text book down on the chalk board and the students are then to copy them down in their notes……sorry just had to get that out.

Things are going good starting to get to know more of my neighbors around my school and been getting invited over for dinner and what not…ya I am kind of a big deal around here. I had a young couple who where just married in August over for some American food so I made them spaghetti (I know it’s not “American” but popular in America), they said they really liked it but…they could have been just being good guest. I will see how eager they are to come next time a ask them to come over for dinner.

Next week the new Peace corps education volunteers we are going to an Aids conference in Mbeya which is in the south western region of Tanzania. I am really excited to be doing some traveling around and seeing more of Tanzania and to reunite with some of my fellow peace corps volunteers from my training group, I am sure it will be a good time. Since I am the only one from our training group who hasn’t left our training region Morogoro, I believe I am anticipating it the most.

Well I need to get back to school I have class to get ready for, one last thing before I sign off I am calling Jeff K. out… I got a letter from your Mom yesterday (Thanks a lot Susan it was very nice!), but haven’t heard from you since Christmas! It nice to hear how you all are doing, keep in touch!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke
I was glad to find your blog. I hope to be leaving Sept. '08 to teach math in Africa - possibly Tanzania - so your blog was just what I needed. What happens with your classes when you go on PC conferences? I am just thinking about how much work it is to take a day off of teaching here - what's it like there when you are not able to teach your classes? I'm a math teacher in PA currently & can't wait to do what I do now somewhere completely different!
Rebecca